What was the last CD you bought

The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songbook. Another collection gap filled as I’ve only ever heard this via the odd track with a streaming trial, so will be interesting getting to the know this Peter Cobbin remix as its supposed to sound rather good.

12 Likes

First spin of Olivia Rodrigo - Guts.
It might not stack up as all time favourite, but worth trying.

2 Likes

They sound great to my ears, both CD and vinyl contain some of the best remixes of these particular songs.

If you’ve not seen Andrew Milton’s exemplary YT channel (Parlogram Auctions), it’s worth it if you’d like all the info on this project and many, many more.

3 Likes

Ah, great, thanks for the info. All ripped and ready to go for tomorrow.

Yes, I’m a subscriber to Andrew’s excellent YT channel, and it was his video that prompted me to put this album on the ‘add to collection’ list. His channel is a superb resource, and the LPs he also has for sale on the Parlogram website are in tremendous condition, if a little (well, very) expensive.

2 Likes

Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat. As a Leonard Cohen fan, I’ve always been curious about this album so looking forward to giving it a whirl tomorrow. Supposedly a really good sounding LP on vinyl too, so hope the CD version sounds ok and isn’t compressed into oblivion.

17 Likes

Yes have both US & Uk pressings snd they’re great.
Fantastic album on whatever format!

As a fellow LC fan can I also respectfully suggest:

Anjani ‘Blue Alert’
The Webb Sisters ‘Savages’
Sharon Robinson ‘Everybody Knows’

1 Like

Excellent, thanks for those, will check them out after the Blue Raincoat album :sunglasses:

1 Like

Don’t give up if it sounds compressed……there are many versions out there. I remember my dealer having two versions…….one was horrible on digital.

1 Like

Ah, thanks Gazza, that’s good to know. As with most CDs, as a general rule it seems the earlier the better to avoid compression etc, and this is a very early CD so fingers crossed.

I can’t find my original copy so purchased another one!
Also vinyl is in order! ( finally ) :grin:

12 Likes

Local charity shop had some classic albums in original mid-80s pressings for mere buttons:

Gosh, they sound good. I’m increasingly convinced that early complaints of CDs sounding brittle etc were due to the characteristics of early CD players, not the recording technology. But let’s not pull on that thread so close to Christmas!

Mark

7 Likes

Correct. I usually go for the earliest issue rather than the later remastered version. Also good to know below artists original master tapes were destroyed by the Universal Studio fire back in 2008 so anything later they are using a dupe or questionable origin.

4 Likes

Got this yesterday and am finding it very delightful.

7 Likes

Early Stan.

6 Likes

Got lucky and found a bunch of Blue Note Japanese re-issues today. Super happy!

14 Likes

An absolute ACE avalanche for my Christmas present to me.

.sjb

3 Likes

11 Likes

Thanks to my brother-in-law who lives in Boston, I am now the excited owner of the recently-released complete score to Hook (1991):

3 CDs, two booklets, nearly four hours of music, much of which has been unreleased for 32 years, and it’s an astonishing musical achievement. Such a shame the film never matched up to it!

Mark

1 Like

Brilliant horde.

1 Like

And, of course, ‘Grace’ stands with the best debut albums of all time.

I was lucky enough to see Jeff Buckley six times in concert before his tragic demise.

4 Likes