What was the last concert / gig you attended?

Joan As Police Woman last night at the Union Chapel in London. Apologies for the quality of the photo, arrived about 3 minutes before the gig started and didn’t secure the best of seats. A combination of the new album and some well worn favourites. Jolly good too.

9 Likes

Caroline Shaw with the Kamus String Quartet at the Wigmore Hall last night. The programme varied works from her with pieces by Josquin des Prez, Scarlatti and Ludwig van. She sang several of her songs.
The most extraordinary concert. The programme was loosely based around melancholy and loss and was beautifully chosen. The Kamus Quartet were brilliant and I never tire of watching a string quartet absolutely focused on each other - incredibly intensity.
Caroline herself is a very talented composer but also a really good singer. For the last song she had all the audience gently hum in B flat for the entirety of the song and it was just magical.
A very special concert

7 Likes

I saw her at The Spitz in London in 2006 - with the lovely Rainy Ortega on bass.

1 Like

Birmingham Town Hall last night, the Van Morrison Alumni Band…brilliant. shame it wasn’t a capacity audience. Its a must see for any VM fans.

A chap called in to the store yesterday, seeking directions to Wigmore Hall (just around the corner from work). He was a bit distracted so I didn’t ask if he was going for the Caroline Shaw…I was a bit jealous (or is that envious?) TBH, as I couldn’t go!

Must have been a lovely concert :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Hiromi - Sonicwonder - Teatro Ristori, Verona, 10th Oct 2024

It’s always a joy to witness Hiromi and her powerful presence on stage. The concert was simply fantastic. I’ve been lucky enough to experience the same tour a year ago and everytime I hear her playing, her songs are always rearranged in a completely different way. What a musician she is! This time they were really grown up and delivered such a finesse that I wish there was an album of this concert. At the end she also delighted the audience with Mr. C. C. if I’m not mistaken, followed by a song I’ve never heard on her previous albums. What an experience, highly recommended!

6 Likes

Beautiful photo’s :+1:t3:

1 Like

Thank you @steviebee, I’m glad you liked them!

1 Like

Just back from seeing DG at the RAH. What can I say that hasn’t been said already?
F*cking brilliant

An unusually large speck of sentiment in my eyes during ‘Wish you were here’ and the beautiful version of ‘Great gig in the sky’

7 Likes

DG at the RAH Friday 11th October.

8 Likes

@Cat7
That first photo is excellent!

Thanks.

DG at the Royal Albert Hall last night. Just Sublime.

6 Likes

David Gilmour RAH Wednesday 9th October

4 Likes

Had an absolute blast of a concert. All parts of the program have been great and mesmerizing. One of my best classical concerts ever.

Jakub Hrůša Dirigent
Behzod Abduraimov Klavier
Damen des Tschechischen Philharmonischen Chores Brno Chor

Josef Suk »Zráni« | »Lebensreifen« Symphonische Dichtung op. 34
Sergei Rachmaninow Rhapsodie über ein Thema von Paganini op. 43
Leoš Janáček »Taras Bulba« Rhapsodie für Orchester

3 Likes

Symphonic Six at Holy Trinity in Sutton Coldfield, a beautiful Grade 1 church. The band is a CBSO offshoot who play arrangements by Raymond Scott, John Kirby and others. Our favourite was a lovely arrangement of Liebestraum by José Melis.

3 Likes

Had this evening also a good concert. Mao Fujita was bring Tschaikovsky’s Piano concerto, we had after the break Rachmaninov’s 2nd symphony and they started with an interesting piece of a Japanese composer. While it’s a bit overkill to have concerts on two consecutive evenings, I did enjoy myself.

And Mao is somebody to watch, while I belief he is even better at home with solo piano music.

5 Likes

Seems everyone’s got to see David Gilmour expect me. :cry:

3 Likes

Hi Bert,
Who was the conductor?

Tell me about it…! I was all over the pre-sale access for tickets as soon as it opened, but within seconds of logging in there were like a 1000 people in front of me in the queue…! Tried other nights as quickly as I could, but of course, you’re then wasting time and getting chucked further back in the queue….God knows how you were meant to score tickets…! :man_shrugging:
Still, got to see him at the Albert Hall on his last stint there, so can’t complain……

And now on to the next mad scramble for tix – The Cure’s album launch gig in November….TBH, I’ll be even more stoked if I can get tix for that one and will be on the plane back to Blighty with a big smile….Don’t fancy the chances though – we shall see :flushed:

SC