What's the next bit of gear you're planning to buy in 2024?

Used Festool TS55 plunge saw and rails inbound. Courtesy of eBay.

Speaker cabinet build capability slowly being acquired. What could go wrong? As long as I retain a cueing finger I’ll be alright X)

3 Likes

Roon perminant licence

1 Like

Festool saws are absolutely superb. I had one many moons ago and you could literally throw it at the wood and still get a perfect cut. Top quality German engineering.

What speakers are you planning to build? Or are you designing them yourself?

1 Like

I’ve been planning to build something from Troels Gravesen’s collection for ages now. In fact ever since seeing another forum member’s thread on it: Speaker build - CNO4

I always wanted to build my own speakers when younger, read up about it a bit years back. I’m finally getting the tools and courage together to give it a go. Decided on the Festool as if it all goes pear shaped I should be able to sell it on. If it goes well, plus a few other DIY projects I have planned, then it’ll be a great quality investment. I’ve years of car and bike maintenance under my belt, and a bit of woodwork (peaking with a butcher block based free standing kitchen unit) but never anything requiring the precision and machine tool dexterity that cabinets require.

I occasionally post about it to trigger the two Marks to pester me about the project (there are at least two of them who have built beautifully realised Gravesen designs) :wink: They might be too tired at this point though, it’s been a year of talk and no action, apart from me buying Gucci tools!

(though I did mock up a cardboard pair to see how the model I was thinking of at the time would look in situ!)

7 Likes

Love that thread! Thanks for the link

1 Like

Here’s the other one: Speaker Build - CNO Grande

I’m almost certainly going to build the floor standing versions of the Illuminator 77 in that thread

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated.

1 Like

In the photo, it looks like the fronts have a different amount of blackness?:thinking:

That’s great to hear, looking forward to seeing your build … I’m sure you’ll love them :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah I know what you mean. It’s direct sunlight coming through open blinds so I think it’s just that. Any other time they all look the same.

1 Like

I already had a pair of Totem Arro’s sitting unused in the closet so decided yesterday to order one of those new Wiim Amps to go with my Totem’s to replace a Sonos Beam sound bar in the living room TV set up. Will hopefully give me the option to finally have listenable background music and who knows, might be able to turn off subtitles when watching movies on Netflix lol.

3 Likes

Sean Jacobs PS DC4 is $7500.00 way more than I’m willing to spend.

I guess if it really looked that bad one could simply replace them for a few $ with Torx or Hex heads.

Whouah! Didn’t thought it costs that much. The Uptone JS1 is around 1k. The top MCRU , 800 euros.

1 Like

Not purchased yet, but these were left by my local dealer today as he took away the Fyne F702s (which were too big physically, and needed too much space behind them to sound at their best).

Only a few hours listened on the Fink Team Kims, but they both sound rather nice, have a really nice balanced bass at low volume, and passed through the aesthetics committee with flying colours.

Please excuse the tangle of cables - the recent addition of an ND555 meant more power cables, and it’s a bit of a mess until the Chord M6 arrives…

13 Likes

Yes, my dealer showed us these and my wife rather liked the look of them. Then my dealer said how much they cost and that was that.

1 Like

They are a bit spendy (towards the upper end of stand mounts), but happily cheaper than what i had been looking at on ur floor stander front. Especially if i go where i was originally thinking of with a PMC Fact.12 or Titan 606.

1 Like

They look really nice, and a bit different from the pack. If you do go for them, would you get their angled stands? As they would alter the sound, it would probably be a good idea to try the speakers on their bespoke stands before committing.

The stands are permanently fixed to the speaker, and are sold with them (they come in the box with stands attached.

The angles on the stand are designed to phase align the treble and bass driver. Or something - I’m not going to pretend i understand the science of what that means beyond “the sounds from both drivers arrive at your ears at the same time”

Ah, so you have already got them. The slope wasn’t as clear in your photo, but I see it now. They do look really good and it will be interesting whet you think of them over time. So many have Kudos and it’s good to see something different.

1 Like