Woodupp Acoustic panels

I saw some of you using panels from Woodupp as acoustic treatment. If I place wool behind these panels will it help for more absorption or does the felt block it from getting through to the wool behind it?
@IvdZ I believe you have experience with this solution?

@Hifi_Naim_CNNL sure, you can definitely add wool behind it. I first made a frame (3cm by 3cm bars) on the wall. The WoodUps are mounted against that fraim. Before mounting, I put wool between the frames. I only filled 30% of the free space; this as per recommendation of an acoustic experts who did some measuring first. Filling everything with wool, would have made the room dead. He calculated 30% was the optimum.

Hope this hels

5 Likes

22 Likes

We’re building a garden room which will have these panels against the 8m long rear wall.

That’s entirely inspired by YOU Iver :slight_smile:

Once it’s done, I’ll post some photos too.

3 Likes

So the frequencies than can’t be absorbed by the thin felt will go through and will then partially be absorbed by the wool behind it? Or is the wool only for insulation so that sound doesn’t get through the wall to the adjacent room?

I think you need to ask yourself what you want to achieve and what your problem frequencies are in your room? My gut feeling tells me it would make very little difference if any :thinking: ATB Peter

PS. It looks great though :+1:t3:

Well, my room is not symmetric so next to my left speaker is a wall (+/-50cm space) and the right speaker has an open space next to it. I now have an acoustic panel on the left wall which improves the soundstage immensely (as if the left wall is not there). However, I find these panels rather ugly and would prefer to have the woodup panels but the felt is so thin that I doubt they will absorb as my well as my acoustic panel. So I was wondering if placing wool behind it will help with this.

1 Like

Acoustic panels are either absorbers or diffusers and everything in between. Effectively you are trying to cancel out the deleterious effect your left wall is having on reflections and messing with the time domain influencing your soundstage. Absorbers are mostly working by air pressure hitting front to back and reducing the air pressure as it travels through the acoustic wool (actually reduces the pressure turning it into heat). This has given them the name ‘velocity absorbers’. Mostly you allow a 50 mm gap of absorbers away from the back wall to effectively let the pressure escape. The gap behind the decorative wall panels is only 30 mm and where will the air (read pressure) further disperse to in an enclosed space?
I can’t help thinking that the wall panels in question were designed to reduce the sound in busy areas of people talking and no other in room damping as in carpets and soft furnishings. The sound in some public/busy places, where people are sat eating and chatting can be ear-screechingly awful (as I’m sure you know), and I’m sure these panels could help with kerbing upper midrange and higher frequencies.
If you want to make acoustically invisible on a broad frequency spectrum you need some thick permeable absorbtion maybe 4inches and above to have an effect.
To illustrate air gap in placement against wall:

Maybe you could make something to cover that wall, which looks more integrated than what you are experiencing at the moment. I have used GIK absorbers in various depths from 100-400mm and you can spec them for fabrics etc. Of course nothing wrong with putting said decorative wall panels up, just don’t expect wonders from an acoustic point of view. Just my 2 pence :man_shrugging: Best Peter

3 Likes

Not an expert on this at all but their website does seem to focus on clearer human speech.

1 Like

That would indeed make sense Gazza, nothing worth than being in a restaurant where there is so much noise from glasses, cutlery and voices, that you are desperately sat trying to mouth read to understand, what the person opposite you is saying (… and most often fail). ATB Peter

2 Likes

These Woodupp panel look similar to (but not the same as) the panels depicted in the photos of Naim’s own demo room.

The above thread notes that the wooden slats did improve the sound in the room and changes to the angle of the slats improved this further.
If wooden slats work for the Naim demo room then the WoodUpp slats may work in other rooms.

2 Likes

That’s nice to hear @Ardbeg10y ; I wish you all the success installing the panels. Would be winderful,if yiu can show a little pic when you are done

Merry Christmas
Iver

1 Like

Hi @Hifi_Naim_CNNL ; the woodupp panels have a certain « absorbtion-capacity ». If that is not enough to your needs (like in my case), one can add additional wool behind the panels. I just went to a DIY and seached for wool specifically made for dound absorbtion. I think the brand I have is called Knauff but there are many others.

The measurements of the sound experts indicated I should foll 30% of the wall with this additional wool.

For the corners I also needed two basstraps. I found these (same color and looks like the WoodUpp) with Artnovion

Iver

2 Likes

Here is a oic that also has one if my ArtNovion basstraps in the corner. As yiu can see, colors align and the sound-result is impressive and very convincing to my ears
Iver

5 Likes

Very well explained feedback to make me rethink my options. It sounds pretty logical this way.

On the other hand, I know the company that advised @IvdZ and the guy behind the company seems to be a professional on acoustic improvements. Perhaps I need to do a bit more research before taking a leap.

2 Likes

Hi @PeterR ,

I have approached things a specific way: first I have asked the acoustics engineer tondo,measurements and document his advice. There were some clear acoustic problems to fix in my living room. The advice came with a detailed plan to install various types of acoustic treatment (in this case using ArtNovion suggestions).

My preference in terms of looks were the WoodUpps though. So I got sample assets of WoodUpp allowing the engineer to redo the measurements and adjust his advisory plan: with alternative absorbtion of ArtNovion +/+ the WoodUpp we could get the same outcome. So this let my choose the latter. By the way, the frame on the wall for the panels is so thick I have a 1cm spare between the wall, and the background-wool so all set

Iver

2 Likes

Hi Ivdz, it’s great news it has worked for you and I think it looks really cool :+1:t3: My only point is that when people approach an acoustic enterprise like yourself, one has to sit down and understand, which problems in the frequency range need fixing. Otherwise it’s easy to spend a lot of effort and money on something, which in the end don’t provide the expected outcome. ATB Peter

1 Like

To be fair Peter Iver did approach an Acoustics Engineer for advise.

I never claimed to be one, but the OP raised a query which described further turned out to be quite a specific issue. This to me didn’t sound as if, it was a general issue to deal with upper frequency reverb time in the room. No worries, I’ll stand down. ATB Peter

4 Likes

Now Thomas has gone AWOL your knowledge in this area is very valuable.

3 Likes