Show us what's inside

OK, it is well built, metal rather than plastic, D700?..

(Could check shutter life on the specs…more fun to guess…)

It’s d3s. Lovely tough machine. Loud and distinctive when you hear it at press. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Ah I got the well made metal construction, just did not think you could have worn it out!!

Fine camera but heavy…

Haha, we try hard on the field. But yeah it is tough as a rock. I had dropped the camera from 1.5m on concrete and didn’t break it. Snapped the lens into two of course. :stuck_out_tongue: The 24-70mm f/2.8 notorious needing re-greasing after some time. Thank God I have insurance.

Btw, they are very well balanced so don’t feel too bad except for day long shoots.

Something a bit more “retro” to study.

This is the inside on my 1986 Linn LP12, which is stock, as originally supplied.

Features of note :

• Valhalla power supply board
  • Corner bracing
  • Pressed steel chassis, with additional strut, glued (not welded)
  • Original external tonearm cable and cable dressing
  • Original motor

The picture is taken from the underside, whilst on the usual Linn LP12 service jig. (Picture taken while in for service and some upgrade work, with my dealer).

4 Likes

Close up of the Valhalla power supply board, in situ.

4 Likes

That’s a very clean looking Valhalla with hardly any browning or blackening to the usual overheated areas.

Sure. I think I have been lucky. Over the years, I’ve heard about this topic. Anyway, I’ve spoken with Darren at Class A Audio about giving this board some TLC - “full service, recap and alignment”, etc. Just thinking about that. Weighing this against options to upgrade with external PSU, etc… (It’s in for a service and general look over).

Here is the underside of my Alphason Sonata…

No jig, just rests on the three pillars that hols and adjust the suspension.

Note the heavy iron casting that hold the bearing and arm…
The power supply was a few minutes later bypassed, and tha Atlas psu connected to the connector block, easily reversed if necessary.

Here is the inside of the Atlas psu, taken many years ago so not as clear as I would like.

1 Like

My thoughts too, mine had brown scorch marks in all the usual places

Here is the changed connectors…

1 Like

Here are pics of chrome bumper Nait 2 before and after recap. Still waiting for new LEDs. Top pic is of the recapped Nait…

2 Likes

Did you re cap it yourself?

No Roberto I don’t have the skills. Chris Murphy of the Real Music company in Wellington New Zealand is the expert.

1 Like

Looks good what Chris has done. And it will sound so much better.

1 Like

From the top - one of my 500PS’

552, indicating a naughty little sticking relay (easily fettled) -

The 362 SNAXO -

…and my Melco N1-Z, (SSDs now 2X1 Tb) -

7 Likes

Is that a new snaxo Tony

Lyndon

Lots in that Snaxo. I take it the 500ps is not dr?

The DR tech in the 300 and 500 is in the head unit rather than PS box.

1 Like

That’ll be it then…