System Pics 2024

I may be becoming an old sentimental fart, but I find it refreshing to see that name pop up sometimes. It reminds me of a time when human intelligence was not solely used to make money or make other people’s lives worse.

5 Likes

Thanks for the enquiry about the building work, we are almost ‘dust free’, but not quite!

Main building work - tick. We now have working drains, a watertight roof, a knocked through open plan kitchen & dinning room and a new kitchen - fitted just two weeks ago. Everything’s still a little austere in terms of furnishing, but everything works, which is the main thing.

My work room (main listening room) is still very much a work in progress until the school holidays are over. Also, 90% of the records and the Rega turntable are still in storage - frustrating, but it is a usable working space for now. Note, 19L Really Useful Boxes full of records stacked together make for a stable desk support!

But, the big news is all change on the system front though - I’m taking a (semi) Naim sabbatical! I’ll post in more detail in this thread when I get the chance later.

Temporary set up, firstly with vintage Monitor Audio R252s, and introduced last week, Rega RS3s…

38 Likes

Great
Reads like real progress with the home improvements.
It’s a relief when everything gets the the clean stage again, isn’t it ?
Thanks for the post and update.

Your post is also a “Systems Pic” of sorts :rofl:
10/10 for initiative, adaptability (and surviving) with music during the building work.

Good luck :+1:
R

2 Likes

Movies, Music priority.

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

An earlier thread about Julian and Brompton.

4 Likes

You are interested?

Indeed. Brompton are fab. Fold small but have the same wheelbase as a standard bike. Superb design. I love mine and it goes everywhere with me in London.

3 Likes

Nightmare putting a new inner tube in the back wheel if you puncture, in my experience

Love that drawing board, similar to what i was allowed on after a six year cabinet making apprenticeship and then moved up to the drawing office!

1 Like

Maybe. Not now anyway. But it’s good to know! Thanks!

1 Like

It is a gem of a thing, although the parallel motion was long gone before I acquired it. I paid just £150 for it from a slate quarry drawing office in North Wales, who were moving over to CAD design and it was deemed surplus to requirements. I hate to think how much it cost new considering the build and weight - I can just about lift it on my own once the board has been removed from the frame. I’ll never part with it!

1 Like

Great story, I moved over to 2d cad, then 3d cad, still preferred the board in many ways, it would never crash on me and lose a load of work like the cad systems could!!

2 Likes

Interestingly there are Naim-Brompton branded bikes out there, not sure whether they’re legit anyway, but more curious about the role Mr Julian took during his time at Brompton!
(Not my photos- found them in Mercari JP)

8 Likes

7 Likes

12 Likes

I remember when I started at Naim and I was talking to Doug about Brompton. He said that there used to be a bunch of them in the factory stores. He went to look, but couldn’t find any. Maybe this was one of them?? Perhaps @Pauls knows something here.

4 Likes

Julian bought a few Bromptons to use from his sailing boat or in the boot of his car to cycle home after a visit to the pub.
He loved it, decided to order more and found Brompton were in trouble and could not supply- so he invested in the company, took an active part in modernising the company, added input to design ideas especially the folding pedals I recall and would support the company at shows showing how to open and close the bikes. He loved the company and the bikes.
To help sales he ordered a number maybe 20 to sell to Naim distributors worldwide these maybe were the Naim branded ones.

18 Likes

Only if you have the rear hub gear version. I dont. I have the 4 speed derailleur and its like a normal bike.