This is a BLACK Day - Right Channel dead - Beloved Olives

Wow! That was unexpected! I hope the new one is as nice as the seller says.

As for servicing, it includes all of the tantalum caps*, 47uF axials*, switch on delay cap & any other bits that need doing while it’s back at “home”.
*That would include phono cards if fitted.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: Yess - this is unexpected. These units do not come out very often…
It is late series and late green and with black Burndy… could be worse :o)
But you only know it, when it arrives…
Same with every second hand buy. Even when it is in your town - soundcheck can only be done, when you arrive at home.
Never would have bought it outside eBay … in our local eBay Kleinanzeigen there are daily fake adverts - when I see it, ill inform eBay every time :O)

The 52 is also first hand and Non-smoking environment!

Service was done at LASA service centre in Piacenza.
According to the forum here, they do a good job and are certified for naim service.
Think they know, what they are doing - even a small recap is better than none :slight_smile:

Forgot to ask - since when is the Pots 8 included - is there a defined serial number?

That might require some deep digging!

I’ll see what I can find.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Sorry - found it… :slight_smile:

Yes - I’ve just managed to find some PCB data from 97.

:smiley:

1 Like

To be honest - I have no idea what POTs8 means :slight_smile: - something to do with the motors powering vol and balance?

The early revisions used an integrated circuit to drive the pots & the later ones used discrete components to do the same job as well as a more intelligent design that allowed the entire drive circuit to sleep when not in use. There is little difference between rev 7 & 8 other than the omission of an opto-isolator that became superfluous due to the redesign.

Regards
Neil.

5 Likes

Thanks - this is a reasonable improvement in my (non technical) understanding.
If there is a faulty POTs Board sometime - could this still be repaired?
My dealer told me, that the only difficult repair option are the remote circuits - so I understood. But I think he meant the motors, which are rare to get.

The pots/motors are still available - he may be referring to the logic circuits in general (the ones that control all the switching, pot drive, illumination etc.) because they are a real pig to troubleshoot & repair!
Can still be done though. :+1:

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

:+1:

There might be a Bit downside with the 52.
It has been stored for approximativ 1,5 years.
I think it will Need a massive run in/burn in Period.
Hoping that Storage had Not done any bad effects. :slight_smile:
There he is again - mr. Glass half empty…
Now positive and looking forward:)

Just give the volume & balance knobs a good few rotations from end to end before setting it up, I’m sure a couple of years storage won’t have too many bad effects.
Unless it was stored somewhere silly, like under water.
Only joking! :smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much
Fine advice- moving Parts … There are Not so many of Thema in a preamp :slight_smile:
Rotation End to end - will do it by Hand First. After that via Motor :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Neil

What’s the software update for Flash compatibility?

Jim

Sorry - one more question coming up.
Should I also go for the „matching“ supercap from the seller. It is from the same year. Matching serials.
Not for matching green, but for technical reasons. Is it necessary to keep the pairs together?
My supercap was recapped in 2018 - another supercap in 2020. the 2018 one is from 1995 like my dead 52.
Thanks

PS: I will try it in a separate thread - did not find a matching thread. Maybe it is interesting for others as well :slight_smile:

Here:

It just allows scrolling through the inputs with the up and down keys. The flash will still work otherwise, as long as the 52 is an RC5 version.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

When this is the topic from my remote not working with the 52, it refers to the R-com. My R-com does not work with input skipping.

Now I do have a real nerdy question … I know that this is one of my best :slight_smile:

@NeilS and @all
Does it harm the NAC52 when it is in transit from warm Italy via plane to Germany. I do not know what is the temperature in a freight room of the plane, but I think it will not be freezing.

Can answer it myself. If this will do any harm, naim components are limited to a very very small distribution radius. :slight_smile: