What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

@Thomas Can you elaborate on your choice of the Taiko server? With thanks.

Initially, I did not want to use a server.

I wanted to use Roon as advised by Roon Labs : a Roon server somewhere on the network and a Roon Endpoint connected to the DAC.

The ND555 is designed that way : the streamer part of the ND555 includes a Roon Endpoint. Therefore one can use whatever server somewhere on the network. The server needs only to be powerful enough to handle the Roon Core.

Taiko Audio has a difference approach.

The Taiko Extrem is a powerful machine that includes both the Roon Server and the Roon Endpoint.

In my opinion, this was nonsense. Butā€¦ only fools refuse to change their minds.

How Taiko solved this problem is brilliant!

They implemented the Roon architecture in their own way, quite cleverly.

The result is that ā€œpartā€ of the server runs the Core, and another ā€œpartā€ runs the Endpoint. The whole thing is cleverly tweaked at the software level.

Taikoā€™s approach is so good that Roon now outperforms their own software, which is good news as Iā€™m Roon user.

So both the hardware and software are highly optimised in the Taiko Extreme.

I ended up buying a Taiko Exteme, which Iā€™ll use with my new DAC.

2 Likes

That is supposed to a great server and in your system should sound amazing, what size ssd did you go for.

Got IsoAcoustics Gaia 3 for my Spendor A4s!

19 Likes

Thanks, @Thomas. I have some more questions for you. @Richard.Dane - can you let @Thomas have my e-mail address please? Thanks!

Is Isoacoustics Gaia 3 weekā€¦ @Mahesh

I replaced the original spikes of the Solid Steel SS6 Stands. I initially had doubts whether the Isoacoustics Gaia under Speaker Stands have a similar effect as under floorstanding speakers. But they have. Not night and day but they bring tighter bass and a little more resolution. I like it.

20 Likes

Hi Gazza,

Apparently, the Taiko Extreme is amongst the very best, if not the best. I wonā€™t be able to confirm that as I wonā€™t buy another server :sweat_smile:
But some did, and found the Taiko Extreme rules them all.

Iā€™ll compare it against the network adapter included in the Soulution 760. Again some have already done that test; the Taiko seems to be the best choice.

As for the SSD, the Taiko server doesnā€™t use SSD drives; theyā€™re too slow and clearly would be the bottleneck. Instead, they use PCIe modules, which are way faster than SSD and less noisy. Hence the priceā€¦

I ordered the server with 16TB storage capacity and the USB Extreme adapter.

Ahh that was itā€¦ā€¦those modules, should be very specialā€¦ā€¦plenty of opportunity to tweak with cablesšŸ˜‰ What a great system you have coming togetheršŸ‘

1 Like

Cables, tweaks, ā€¦ that wonā€™t happen :joy:

The only thing I enjoy tweaking is my room treatment. Amazing results for little effort. And I like its predictability, which is not the case with cables.

Well, Iā€™ll do some test anywayā€¦ Ethernet cables!!! :blush:

Iā€™ll try three of them :

• simple Cat.6 U/UTP
  • AQ Vodka
  • Nordost Valhalla 2

So from really cheap to Ć¼ber expensive :sweat_smile:

I bought the whole set of Nordost Valhalla 2 cables:
USB, EtherNet, 3x power cords, interconnects and speakers.

For that test, no expectation bias.
It really doesnā€™t matter which one is going to win.
But Iā€™ll try to match the colour of the cables, the aspect of things matters as well. :man_artist:

@Thomas: Richard D has sent you my e-mail address. If you are agreeable, Iā€™d like to ask a couple more questions offline - with thanks.

1 Like

Please excuse my ā€œoff topicā€ question.
I also need to speak with Richard D - offline - how is this done?

Iā€™ve flagged your post, so Richard will see it.

1 Like

Hi Mahesh - how do you find the addition of the Gaias?

Thank you

Iā€™ve messaged you.

1 Like

Iā€™d hope itā€™s something special at ā‚¬24k+ā€¦

You can have a look at the Antipodes K50. Considered among the best actually, with the Taiko.

Hi Billy,

Did send you a message, hope I can help.

Cheers,

Thomas

So do I! It was a tad more then that :sweat_smile:
It should be here in a few weeks.

Build quality looks top notch, look forward to your findings.